Search engines with an emphasis on privacy protection have grown substantially lately. Not so long ago it was hard to imagine that someone could compete with Google in the field of search on the Web.
However, there are many smaller players in this market, characterized by rapid growth. And they begin to significantly affect the search sphere: in about a year, the share of Google as a search engine decreased by 8%.
In this article, we will talk about the best advanced and alternative search engines.
Bing is one of the brainchildren of Microsoft, ranking third in the US with 5.59%, although in the past it was up to 10%.
It is worth noting that according to statistics this system also holds the honorable third place in the world market.
Although compared to March last year, Bing’s popularity dropped from 3.23% to 2.39% in May this year. This search engine has little popularity in European and Asian countries (for example, Japan 3.05%, China 2.45%, although it is not very far behind Google).
In Ukraine, 0.58% of Bing is used, in Belarus 0.29%, in Kazakhstan 0.29%, in Russia only 0.47% of users of the World Wide Web. In Saudi Arabia, this search engine is used by 1.28%.
Here’s Yahoo! is gaining momentum – Digital Agency London
Compared to last year, this search engine came in second in the US 8.35%, and in second place in the world 2.67%, overtaking Bing. And, a very good rating Yahoo! is in Japan – almost 21%!
Yahoo! Search Engine also owes two Stanford students. Jerry Young and David Fillo first created this search network to have a little fun, and eventually, they got a lucrative business. Since 1994, the company has experienced both ups and downs. But even today, she manages to stay on the leaderboard and even grow.
Yahoo! is actively used by residents of Japan – as much as 20.91%. In Ukraine, 0.53%, China – 0.03% of the population. In Belarus, 0.18% and in Russia use only 0.37%.
Yahoo! Search Engine increases its position
Baidu ranks 64.55%, a search engine monopoly in China. This search engine was founded later than its predecessors in 2000 only. Its founders are Robin Lee and Eric Sue. In China, Baidu is the most popular system.
Sogou is the second largest search engine used by 18.32% of Chinese people, that is why it ranks second after Baidu. In the CIS countries, these search engines are almost unknown.
In the world, they occupy 0.89% and 0.24% respectively. For example, in Ukraine, it is used by 0.13%. Most likely, it is because of the Chinese who currently live in Ukraine. Over the past year, Baidu’s global market position has fallen. The percentage of users dropped from 2.2% to 0.89%.
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that few people know about
Only 0.3% of Ukrainians use this search engine regularly. DDG has several clear advantages over its competitors.
DuckDuckGo also uses Bing, Yandex, and Yahoo! Search results, which is an additional plus. Apparently, these additional advantages are appreciated by US residents. Its popularity in this country has almost doubled.
And if in May 2018 it was used by 0.59% of Americans, in May 2019 it has already 1.01% of residents. In Asia, no one uses this search engine.
The servers for this search engine are located in Germany and are subject to German data protection laws. The service provides the ability to hide behind a proxy server when visiting a web page according to the search results.
Ixquick/Startpage have teamed up to form the “most discrete search engine in the world.” As with MetaGer, here you can also anonymously open websites and hide your IP address.
Some search engines tend to use clicks to promote various environmental projects. Most search results, however, are borrowed from Bing, Google, or Yahoo.
- Ecosia: A search engine donates 80 percent of its revenue to rainforest protection projects and carbon footprint reduction. The results again provide Bing or Yahoo.
- Umlu: thanks to this search engine, green products, and companies appear in the results. Requests are sent to Google, but only in English or German.
- Ecosearch: is a non-profit organization. 100 percent of the profits are transferred on various projects – to the Rainforest Alliance, Healthy Child or Healthy World.
There are also special search engine alternatives that target specific areas.
- Codecheck.info: This supplier checks the products for their ingredients and also indicates whether they might be questionable in terms of quality. There is even an application with a scanner so that you can directly get the necessary information about the product.
- Wegreen: product search system. They are analyzed in accordance with certain criteria (environmental friendliness) and evaluated by the traffic light system. There is also a plugin that runs on Amazon or Zalando.
- GoodTravel: offers a wide selection of proposals in various areas of recreation. You can search by region, country or hotel name.