In the employment market, the production manager job vacancies have increasingly raised. So, who is this person, and what duties are assigned to him? Many people think that this is a sales manager. This profession is widely-known to everybody nowadays. But it should be pointed out, that in many cases, the sales manager is just an ordinary seller.
Its functions can include a wide range of responsibilities from the sale of goods in stores and supermarkets to work in the IT-sphere. This person knows everything about the characteristics of the products sold and implements them. For this, he was sometimes injected with a staff of sellers, which he was supposed to lead. But the production manager is definitely not the same case.
As a director or owner of a small company to independently find employees? How does recruitment in a small organization differ from recruiting in medium and large businesses?
Set adequate job requirements in Digital Agency London
The most common mistake of managers is inadequate requirements for candidates. A specialist with 5 years of successful work experience, knowledge of a foreign language cannot be cheap. But every second ad is replete with mutually exclusive requirements. Many requirements are often contrived. When you begin to find out, for example, why a person needs to know English, it turns out that every three months you need to translate a business letter. And this can be done by an office manager, who perfectly knows a foreign language. And it is precisely this “required to know English” condition that scares a large number of candidates.
Even very small companies need a recruitment strategy.
This is needed to more clearly focus on the actions that the director must perform in order to find an employee. In small companies there can be two strategies:
- The first strategy may sound like “We take only professionals, pay good wages, quickly expect results.” She suggests that the manager looks at competitors or related industries and notes specialists whose work he likes. He knows by name and personality, key industry professionals maintain contacts with them and wait for the opportunity to make a transition proposal.
- The second strategy is about close and regular work with universities or professional communities, where you can find young professionals who want to get their first job, experience, etc. It sounds like “We work with young people, train them, give experience and competencies, expect that they will work with us for a long time and will grow with our business.” This strategy involves special attention to young professionals, a focus on the exchange of experience and mentoring, adequate expectations and requirements from management.
The manager must be personally involved in the search for employees
Popular picture – a small company, there is an office manager. The director instructs him to find resumes of applicants on job portals. The personal requirements of the employer are not always adequate. The office manager has no recruitment experience and brings a resume that, to his discretion, may be suitable for a job.
What are the main characteristics, which should a good production manager have?
Here are the main features:
- Firstly, he must be able to communicate with various people, as well as manage them;
- Secondly, he must be well-versed in related areas – psychology, economics, law; understand issues such as motivation, moral hazard, risk assessment, demand-supply, labor law, international law, intellectual property;
- Thirdly, this person must be able to work on the team.
These subjects are nominally taught at technical universities, but their quantity and quality tend to zero. Thus, university education does not solve the issue of managers. There is only one option left – to search for a ready-made experienced mutualist or prepare it from scratch.
Our agency is working in the field of project management and is ready to carry out the responsibilities of an experienced production manager.
This profession is very different from the sales manager. The most important difference is in the marketing orientation of its activities. This is a specialist who is responsible for the promotion of goods on the market, and he has nothing to do with the process of direct sale. His field of activity is analysis and creativity.
The analysis is needed to monitor the commodity market, as well as the activity of competitors. Creativity is necessary for organizing marketing activities: advertising development, conducting promotions. Of the purely managerial functions, he remained in control of the activities related to advertising, as well as responsibilities for conducting training and seminars regarding the characteristics of goods.
At the moment the production managers have become very popular. Moreover, this situation arose with the revival of the sales market, due to the fall in oil prices and the revival of the market of Western countries. Now the demand for everything that will be used in the hotel service, transport, equipment of sports arenas and even in show business has sharply jumped.
Here you need a specialist who would analyze the goods of suppliers, choose the highest quality products and offer them to our market for implementation and presentation. In fact, this is a person who knows the products very well in terms of price-quality ratio and is able to provide great assistance to an intermediary company in sales.