AdWords Editor is a free Google application designed to set up and edit advertising campaigns without connecting to Google AdWords. You download all your campaign data from your AdWords account, make the necessary changes, and send them back.
The advantages of working with Editor include the following features:
- Make bulk changes to your campaign.
- Work simultaneously with multiple accounts.
- No internet connection needed for editing campaigns.
- Copy items from one group or campaign and put them in another.
- Create draft changes before uploading the campaign to your AdWords account.
- To work with the Editor, you need your own Adwords account through which you plan to advertise. With it, you will upload changes and unload ad campaigns.
- Next, you need to download Google Editor to your computer. You can do this via the link.
Algorithm by Digital Agency London for working with Google Editor
- Next, with a simple example, we’ll show you how to add a search campaign using the AdWords Editor.
- After installing AdWords Editor on your computer, you can start downloading the campaigns.
- To do this, open the Editor and go to your account. Since we just downloaded it, the account window will be empty. Click on the “Add” button.
- Select “Open browser to enter.” The browser opens the code that must be entered in the Editor.
- After entering the code, you need to choose – download all the campaigns that are on your account, or only specific ones.
- After downloading the account, you need to download all the latest information on the campaigns. To do this, click “Get Recent Changes” → “Full Data”.
If there are no campaigns on your account and you need to download them from scratch, you will need to collect them in one of the tools for collecting the semantic core, for example, Keyword Planner in Google AdWords. Next, the keywords must be separated from the negative keywords and divided into groups that are as close as possible to each other in meaning. This is most conveniently done in an Excel file.
We compose three columns in Excel, in which we indicate:
- name of the campaign, for example, Search_Blinds;
- The name of your keyword groups.
Go to the “Keywords and targeting” → “Keywords” → “Make a few changes” section. In the open window, click “My data includes columns …”. From the drop-down list, select the column names in the following order: “Keywords” → “Campaign” → “Add Group”.
After that, we load your columns from the Excel file with keywords, the name of the campaign and the name of the ad groups. Thus, you can upload several campaigns at a time, the system will automatically sort them by campaign name and ad group name. It’s important to remember that when loading a campaign in Editor, the names of the ad groups in the same campaign must NOT be the same! Otherwise, the system will automatically combine two groups with the same name into one.
After adding data to the columns, click “Process” → “Finish and view the changes” → “Save”. A warning has appeared in the Campaigns section that something is wrong. Therefore, we go to this section and enter the necessary information. Select the type of campaign “Search Network only.” If necessary, we make a bid adjustment on mobile or computers.
Next, as an example, select “Targeting Method” → “People from Target Location” and “Exclusion Method” → “People from Excluded Location”. In the language targeting, set “All Languages” and customize your location. But these settings are given on a specific example, so it should be borne in mind that each case is unique and the settings for it are set individually.
Do not forget to put down the daily budget of the campaign, otherwise, the system will give you an error when loading the campaign on the server. As soon as you set your daily budget, the red icon next to the Campaign section will disappear.
Negative keywords for the campaign are downloaded through Google AdWords. This is faster and more convenient since one list of negative keywords will act immediately on the entire campaign. After we added the keys, the campaign and set the basic settings, you can start downloading the ads.
To do this, go to the section “Ads” → “Expanded text ads” → “Make a few changes.” And again, we act similarly to downloading keywords. Select “My data contains …”, name the columns “Campaign” → “Ad Group” → “Heading 1” → “Heading 2” → “Description” → “Final URL” → “Path 1” → “Path 2”. In order not to enter column names each time, you can check the box “Keep the order of column headings in the future.” Columns can be placed in any order. The main thing is that your data matches the name of the columns. After downloading the data, click “Process” → “Complete and view the changes” → “Save”.
That’s all the basic principles of working with Google Editor. The main rule: do not forget to receive updates before starting work with campaigns to get all the changes that were made directly in Google AdWords. It’s also important to remember that you need to add negative keywords and edit bids in your AdWords account.